Monday, May 9, 2011

You are NOT taking away my cereal!

The other interesting event last week was a meeting my hubby and I had with a nutritionist who specializes in cancer nutrition. He gave us some very specific recommendations about what one should and shouldn't do, nutritionally speaking, during chemo treatments. Unfortunately, among the nutritionist's top no-no's was cold cereal. OH NOOOOO!! He wants me to get as much protein as possible, and in general to eat mostly foods with low glycemic values. The nutritionist also recommended a whole bunch of vitamins and supplements to add to my already big list of daily pills. Looks like I'll be expanding the bread box!

Anyway, the whole point of the nutritionist's plan is to maximize the effects of the chemotherapy on my cancer. Great! However, when I tried our new pre-infusion plan yesterday (only protein, veggies & dairy the day before chemo) I was starving for carbs and getting cranky about it. Give me some cereal, or a piece of cake, please! This drove hubby (who has become the high protein/low glycemic police) up the wall. Fortunately, we found out that premium ice cream qualifies as a low glycemic food. Hubby rushed out to the corner ice cream shop and brought me back two scoops of coffee ice cream with almonds. Peace was restored. 

Now it's the evening after chemo and I'm home with my puke bucket next to me, just in case. Little waves of nausea come but quickly go away. Three treatments down and only one more round of the red devil to go... Hallelujah!

0 comments:

Post a Comment