Sunday, May 15, 2011

An Unexpected Comic Moment

Okay, so yesterday (six days after chemo) was a pretty bad day for me. The fatigue was unrelenting, and accompanied by intermittent waves of nausea and a migraine to top it off. I was feeling very blue, and couldn't seem to hold back the tears. Frankly, at times I was feeling like I wouldn't be able to handle another round of chemo and just wanted to throw in the towel. My mother-in-law was due to arrive in the afternoon, and there was still cleaning that needed to get done. Meanwhile, I couldn't even muster up the energy to take a shower. Poor Mr. Pincushion! He was running around like a madman, preparing me nutritious things to eat (with lots of protein), wiping my tears and comforting me, and finishing the housecleaning before racing out to pick his mom up at the airport. And I felt useless and frustrated thinking of all the things I wanted or needed to do.

And then, in the middle of all the nausea, while taking a sip of water, I suddenly got a whiff of this absolutely horrible, hot, sulpheric stench. What the hell is that!? Gagging, I looked down on the floor next to me and saw my sweet, docile poochie sprawled out, snoozing away. I plugged my nose and started laughing, while trying not to vomit. My sweet little girl gave me comic relief when I needed it most. Stinky, lingering doggie farts.... Only a true dog lover can appreciate these little gifts of love.
Lucy, our stinky farty sweetie pie.

2 comments:

  1. Hope you are feeling better by now Polly. Always remember, the worse you feel, the stronger and quicker the drugs must be working. We're thinking of you!!!
    Wilma and the gang

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucy is cute! What a look on that face...
    Thank you for sharing your bumpy blog!
    Blessings-
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete