Monday, May 23, 2011

Last Dose of the "Red Devil."

Hurray! I just had my fourth and last round of the infamous "red devil" chemo today. Now I'm just waiting for the miserable side effects to kick in, as I know they will based on the previous three rounds. In two weeks I'll start another chemo called Taxol, which I'll receive every week for 3 months. Taxol is suppposedly easier on the body, with the most common side effects being fatigue, bone and joint pain—oh, and my fingernails might start separating from the nail bed, perhaps falling off completely! That would be a pretty hot look for a bald chick, especially if I lose my eyelashes or eyebrows too. Watch out Tyra Banks!

Unfortunately, cancer has derailed a trip I was really looking forward to. After much reflection and advice from some of the Pink Cowgirls, we canceled our travel plans to fly to CA this week for my niece's high school graduation. Major bummer because I really wanted to be there to celebrate with her and participate in the festivities with my family and friends :( But the risk of getting on a plane and traveling while feeling sick and incredibly fatigued just doesn't seem like a good idea right now.

So to my niece: Again, I'm so sorry I won't be there, but I know you understand. You've turned into a wonderful young woman and I'm very proud of you. I love you with all my heart. Just know that I will be thinking of you constantly this weekend. And let's try to see each other before you head off to college, even if you fly out here yourself to see me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment