Monday, May 9, 2011

The Pink Ribbon Cowgirls

Last week was busy, but for the most part I felt pretty good. Just in time to get zapped again with the "red devil," which is flowing through my alien and into my veins as I write this entry.

I went to another luncheon with the "Pink Ribbon Cowgirls" last Wednesday. I met some new women, all at different stages in their cancer treatment. It's very comforting to be among women who have gone through (or are currently going through) many of the same experiences as me. It was interesting hearing their personal histories and swapping our war stories. The girls assured me that the "red devil" chemo is shi*ty for everyone, and if I can just get through these last two rounds my life will get better with the switch to Taxol. I'm not sure that will be the case with me, since I am a magnet for side effects. So when I heard it casually mentioned that Taxol can cause finger and toe nails to fall off, I thought to myself, "Check. Can't wait for my toe nails to fall off." Cancer takes everything away from you. It strips you of all things womanly, including all of your hair (yes, that means EVERYWHERE), your finger & toe nails, and sometimes your brain (known as Chemo-fog). On the bright side, I've counted two benefits: I'm not getting my period anymore, and with the Texas heat already arrived I do feel much cooler as a baldie. In fact, I've adjusted so much to my new look that I go outside to get the newspaper or water the plants with my bald head uncovered in all its glory.

1 comment:

  1. Well, I still haven't found you on FB, however if we do connect, I have written a note on there, entitled, "We Are Pink Ribbon Cowgirls", and I think you would like it.
    Evidently you will have to connect with me; my attempts to find you have failed, regardless of the number and variation of names you give me to search...
    ;)

    ReplyDelete