Monday, December 31, 2012

A new year

Another year has come and gone. I realize I haven't written anything for a while so first let me catch y'all up on some of the "old" news. The first half of 2012 was kind of crappy as I was finishing my radiation treatments, then dealing with all the after-effects of those treatments, and then having the surgery where my tissue expanders were finally replaced with "real" breast implants. Fortunately, things got a lot better the second half of 2012 because I finally went back to work, landing a temp position with an educational software company. And then it got even better: In late October my temporary status changed to permanent! The job is going well so far, though I do wish there was a little more variety. My boss anticipates there will be more interesting tasks for me to take on as the company continues to grow, so I'm optimistic about that.

At first I didn't tell anyone at work about having breast cancer, but I finally shared it with my boss and a co-worker when a particular work situation arose. You see, I share an office with this co-worker, and she insisted on keeping our door shut—all the time. It seemed like nothing could change her mind about this. It was driving me bonkers; it would get so hot and stuffy in there, and with my frequent hot flashes I felt like I was going to pass out. Plus it was kind of depressing having the door closed all day, not seeing anyone else in the office. So I finally told my boss about having been recently treated for cancer and the subsequent hot flashes (yes, I pulled the cancer card). She was great about it, intervening on my behalf. Now our office door stays open unless it's freezing in the building, in which case we will close it long enough to warm up the room.

I'm really hoping that 2013 will be a great year for Mr. Pincushion and me. God knows we deserve it. I really, really hope Mr. Pincushion finds that full-time college teaching position. I would also love to start painting again, as I haven't painted a thing since this past summer and I miss it. A trip to some far-off place is also on the agenda. Perhaps the U.K.? The new year is full of exciting possibilities and I for one am looking forward to seeing what will happen! Happy New Year everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Mrs Pincushion,

    I sure do miss you! I am glad to know that such positive things are happening for you and funny that you have a perm job now so maybe Mr. Pincushion has some breathing room to find his perfect fit. Would love to catch up - happy New Year to you!!

    I am looking forward to hearing about a far-flung place once you decide on something.

    :)

    ReplyDelete