Mr. Pincusion is hard at work trying to fix the blog. And watching football.
Here's another test..
Sunday, September 11, 2011
Only a test...
Working on a technical problem with the blog, please ignore this post!
Thanks,
The Management
Thanks,
The Management
Wednesday, September 7, 2011
Decision time
We saw my breast surgeon yesterday to finalize the plans for my surgery, and to schedule it. After much hemming and hawing over the various surgical options, I've finally made my decisions. Drum roll, please...
I have decided to have a bilateral mastectomy. My surgeon was understanding of my reasoning for removing both breasts versus just the affected one, which made me feel better about this choice. So what was my reasoning? Well, because of my age at diagnosis, I am at a higher risk for developing a new breast cancer in the healthy boob over the course of my lifetime. If I were to keep it, I would be constantly worrying. Not that there are any guarantees, even with the mastectomy. The surgeon will only remove the actual breast tissue of the healthy breast, leaving the lymph nodes. There's always a chance of developing a new cancer. Another reason for having a bilateral mastectomy is cosmetic; the plastic surgeon has a better chance of achieving symmetry by reconstructing both breasts.
This led to another big decision I needed to make—the type of reconstruction I would be having. The choice was between the DIEP flap transplant procedure or conventional implants. I decided that the implants are the way to go. For one thing, the post-surgery recovery time is shorter. Secondly, there were questions about whether I had enough stomach fat to form two breasts. Even if I did, my boobs would probably end up smaller that what I already have, which I don't want. They may have been able to transplant some additional tissue from my back, but that could lead to permanent weakness in my back, shoulders, and arms. No thanks!
More decisions: The first stage of implant reconstruction requires placing tissue expanders in the chest. Tissue expanders are basically balloons that the plastic surgeon inflates little by little, every 2 or 3 weeks. The purpose of the expanders is to create space for the implants, which will ultimately replace them. We've heard different opinions about when it's best to have the expanders put in. My plastic surgeon usually does it at the same time as the mastectomy. This means they would be in my chest during my upcoming radiation treatments. Some surgeons feel it's better to wait several months after radiation before putting the expanders in. Radiation can cause all kinds of skin problems, so the thought is that waiting on the expanders reduces the chances of complications (which can occur in as much as 40-50% of cases). On the other hand, the rationale for putting the expanders in prior to radiation is that they will help to keep the breast skin from contracting too much, a common effect of the radiation. It's all very confusing, and it's impossible to know which choices are the best ones for me because I can't know the future. All I can do is hope and pray my surgeons know what they're doing.
One thing I do know for sure is that I'm tired of obsessing over these major decisions! And that on September 28th, I will wake up from surgery BOOBLESS...yikes!!!
I have decided to have a bilateral mastectomy. My surgeon was understanding of my reasoning for removing both breasts versus just the affected one, which made me feel better about this choice. So what was my reasoning? Well, because of my age at diagnosis, I am at a higher risk for developing a new breast cancer in the healthy boob over the course of my lifetime. If I were to keep it, I would be constantly worrying. Not that there are any guarantees, even with the mastectomy. The surgeon will only remove the actual breast tissue of the healthy breast, leaving the lymph nodes. There's always a chance of developing a new cancer. Another reason for having a bilateral mastectomy is cosmetic; the plastic surgeon has a better chance of achieving symmetry by reconstructing both breasts.
This led to another big decision I needed to make—the type of reconstruction I would be having. The choice was between the DIEP flap transplant procedure or conventional implants. I decided that the implants are the way to go. For one thing, the post-surgery recovery time is shorter. Secondly, there were questions about whether I had enough stomach fat to form two breasts. Even if I did, my boobs would probably end up smaller that what I already have, which I don't want. They may have been able to transplant some additional tissue from my back, but that could lead to permanent weakness in my back, shoulders, and arms. No thanks!
More decisions: The first stage of implant reconstruction requires placing tissue expanders in the chest. Tissue expanders are basically balloons that the plastic surgeon inflates little by little, every 2 or 3 weeks. The purpose of the expanders is to create space for the implants, which will ultimately replace them. We've heard different opinions about when it's best to have the expanders put in. My plastic surgeon usually does it at the same time as the mastectomy. This means they would be in my chest during my upcoming radiation treatments. Some surgeons feel it's better to wait several months after radiation before putting the expanders in. Radiation can cause all kinds of skin problems, so the thought is that waiting on the expanders reduces the chances of complications (which can occur in as much as 40-50% of cases). On the other hand, the rationale for putting the expanders in prior to radiation is that they will help to keep the breast skin from contracting too much, a common effect of the radiation. It's all very confusing, and it's impossible to know which choices are the best ones for me because I can't know the future. All I can do is hope and pray my surgeons know what they're doing.
One thing I do know for sure is that I'm tired of obsessing over these major decisions! And that on September 28th, I will wake up from surgery BOOBLESS...yikes!!!
Tuesday, September 6, 2011
Cool breezes
Wow. I sat outside on my deck yesterday afternoon, and for the first time since April or May, it wasn't so sweltering that rivets of sweat poured off my body. In fact, it felt more like fall (Texas version—most non-Texans would still call this summer). There was a constant cool breeze in the air and I loved it!!
So you would think that finishing chemo would mean the end of all the side effects but no, not for me! I'm now experiencing peripheral neuropathy, which is apparently a fairly common side effect. Neuropathy is damage to the nerves, and can cause tingling and numbness in your hands and/or feet. These symptoms can last for up to 6 or even 12 months after chemo. Ugh! It can also progress to other parts of your body, and can sometimes cause more troublesome symptoms that include painful burning sensations, or a loss of coordination (to name just a couple). For me, the tingling and numbness started in both my feet, the day after my last chemo session, and has been constant ever since. It spread to my hands a few days ago. These sensations are not completely new to me; I have felt them in my right foot over the years due to my multiple sclerosis. In fact, if I hadn't just finished chemo, I would have assumed I was having an MS exacerbation. But I'm pretty sure I'm not, because neuropathy is a fairly common side effect of Taxol (the last chemo drug I was on). I just pray it doesn't spread, lead to other problems, or become permanent.
And now Lucy, our gentle and sweet 11 year old dog, has developed a scary looking sore or lump on her lower back, near her tail. We don't like the looks of it. She is really starting to show her age and it breaks our heart! I wish I could turn back the clock to the time when she could run around all day, fetching a ball or swimming or hiking through the woods. Okay, I need to stop before I start blubbering like an idiot. All you dog lovers can relate, I'm sure.
So you would think that finishing chemo would mean the end of all the side effects but no, not for me! I'm now experiencing peripheral neuropathy, which is apparently a fairly common side effect. Neuropathy is damage to the nerves, and can cause tingling and numbness in your hands and/or feet. These symptoms can last for up to 6 or even 12 months after chemo. Ugh! It can also progress to other parts of your body, and can sometimes cause more troublesome symptoms that include painful burning sensations, or a loss of coordination (to name just a couple). For me, the tingling and numbness started in both my feet, the day after my last chemo session, and has been constant ever since. It spread to my hands a few days ago. These sensations are not completely new to me; I have felt them in my right foot over the years due to my multiple sclerosis. In fact, if I hadn't just finished chemo, I would have assumed I was having an MS exacerbation. But I'm pretty sure I'm not, because neuropathy is a fairly common side effect of Taxol (the last chemo drug I was on). I just pray it doesn't spread, lead to other problems, or become permanent.
And now Lucy, our gentle and sweet 11 year old dog, has developed a scary looking sore or lump on her lower back, near her tail. We don't like the looks of it. She is really starting to show her age and it breaks our heart! I wish I could turn back the clock to the time when she could run around all day, fetching a ball or swimming or hiking through the woods. Okay, I need to stop before I start blubbering like an idiot. All you dog lovers can relate, I'm sure.
![]() |
| Lucy laying on our bed, one of her favorite spots. |
![]() |
| Snuggling with Mr. Pincushion. |
Saturday, September 3, 2011
Lobsters and hurricanes
Our Maine vacation was great! We feasted on lobster, crab and ice cream, and gained about 5 pounds. The weather was beautiful for the most part—sunny and cool. Hurricane Irene did hit us, though by the time it reached the Maine coast it was just a tropical storm. Lots of rain and high winds (we lost power for a day), but no flooding or real damage. The evening of the storm was kind of surreal and creepy, with the howling wind outside and no electricity in the house. Glad I wasn't there alone! By the next morning, the sun was back out and it was a gorgeous day. I only wish we could have brought some rain and cool temperatures back with us to Austin.
On the cancer front, the results from a third genetic test, known as BART, came back negative. This was good news, but in a way, a positive result would have made it easier to come to a decision about having a single versus double mastectomy. I feel like I'm back to square one on that. I need to figure this out very, very soon because I'm seeing my breast surgeon this coming Tuesday to schedule the surgery!
On the cancer front, the results from a third genetic test, known as BART, came back negative. This was good news, but in a way, a positive result would have made it easier to come to a decision about having a single versus double mastectomy. I feel like I'm back to square one on that. I need to figure this out very, very soon because I'm seeing my breast surgeon this coming Tuesday to schedule the surgery!
| Sailing in Eggemoggin Reach on the Maine coast. |
| Sunset at my Dad's cottage (and soon to be one of my paintings). |
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)

